Monday, April 26, 2021

Ebon: Why I do not have One?

I do not have an Ebon. That is a sentence that I do not like to read or say. Why? Simply because I do not have one. Would life be better if I had one? I cannot confirm nor deny that thought. It does not define me, but It does say. "I do not have an Ebon". You see when I came back into the hobby of collecting comic books, I did not know of such a book called Ebon. I did not discover this until I went on a search for my tribe. A tribe that consists Black comic book collectors and enthusiats. These brothers would educate me on a number of things regarding collecting Black comic books and learning about Black characters in comic books. Ebon stood out as book due to its significance. It is the first Black independent comic book hero. This book was published in 1970 by Spearhead Comics and was the creation of a gentleman by the name of Larry Fuller. It is interesting to talk with those who own copies of Ebon. Generally, the mention of the book brings smiles to the faces of those who have been blessed to procure such a piece of Black Comic Book history. The notable thing about Ebon is the rarity of the book. From what I understand, there were only 100 books that were printed. That alone makes it special but with Ebon being also the first Black independent comic book hero; It is icing on the cake. Many collectors seek to own this iconic book, I among them. Yet, it eludes many of us. The price for such book is substantial, therefore, making it not just cool comic book but in essence a prize. Just how special is this book, you may ask. I can only tell you as one who admires from afar, that it is history. The most powerful weapon of white supremacy has not been money or military might, it has been ink and paper.
The images of Black People have been troubling in the hands of white artists. It is idealists like Larry Fuller and others who help changed narrative. Ebon gave us Afro futurism before it had an official name. He showed we could be heroic. Why? Like many young Black men, who was looking for himself in comics. His inspiration took shape in Ebon. I hope at the end of day that Mr Larry Fuller knows that his offering to the collective has been a blessing. Even for some one who does not have an Ebon. -Richard J Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Master, we sick..?" An Observation.

Here we go again. The bible says that there is nothing new under the sun. The things you think are new are actually very old. In this day a...