Tuesday, September 5, 2023

You can fix it but they never will. A Black Pill analogy.

Black Pill "It is about realizing nothing matters and there is nothing you can do will change anything, it depraves you of all positive thought about makes you want to get some sort of meaning out of this limited time we have" Urban Dictionary Black comic heads tend to have this endless supply of hope for DC and Marvel Black characters. There is this compelling thought that "they can do this or they can do that" and it will change the trajectory of the character itself. Come on, you see it. This character needs a run. This character needs an upgrade. This character needs a sidekick. This character needs this yada yada yada. It just goes on and on. Yet, for all the "efforts" Marvel and DC make, that half full cup of optimism starts to overflow and spill all over social media Black Superhero groups. It just seems that is the most any of us will get out of hoping for the progression of these superheroes who just happen to be owned by companies that have master degrees in dangling carrots at Black superhero fans.
One such character who has literally been on the back of a milk carton for years is Bloodwynd at DC. He pops up in a back story for a DC special. Yep, the bamma got the Rosa Parks treatment. Funny thing is that DC has been putting Black characters in the back of the bus, uh excuse me I mean in the back story for books for years. Oh yeah, Marvel how ever gets the "put a boot in the back of an issue" for years with Black Panther; Marvel Spotlight books featuring Black writers too like Dwayne McDuffie as well. Our fandom goes on these treasure hunts to find these books and make these discoveries due to the lack of Black characters and Black writers and Black artists almost always not getting the spotlight. Truthfully, as much as I try appreciate what is out here, it only irritates me. I have lost my desire to speculate, think about, nerding out in these conversations about these books and the whole nine. I want to focus on independent titles because it least there's no leash. No canon. No jackbutt editors with tone deaf ideas. Now some may say, "hey, at least they trying". Miss me with that. I have accepted that fact that these companies are loyal to shareholders and all these brands are there to serve as nothing more than a revenue stream.
The decline in comic book sales due to lackluster writing and lackluster movies is enough to give pause. So what makes me think that they care about my Black behind? Do you think they care if a Black Lightning comic book run is all I want? Do you think they care that Black Panther fans are weeping over Storm and T'Challa not being a couple? They do not care. Why should I? Sure it makes for great discussions and content but my cup of optimism has been Black pilled. I could care less at this point. I love comics but I recognize that comics do not always love me. So instead of being a troll or a candidate for Stockholm syndrome. I rather spend 10 bucks on Black owned, Black created comic. I rather pay extra for a floppy filled with melinated beings than to have another "rush" over what DC is doing for Black History Month. Milestone comics makes me want to believe in mainstream books again but searching for new books from them like chess players back in the day looking for a Bobby Fischer sighting. It is what it is. I want to believe things will get better for Black comic fans of Marvel and DC. At this point, I just don't. Yeah, the Black pill is strong with this one" *smirks*

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Master, we sick..?" An Observation.

Here we go again. The bible says that there is nothing new under the sun. The things you think are new are actually very old. In this day a...