Saturday, January 15, 2022

Stop Pulling my Chain!

It is 3:26 am and I'm in front of this computer. In the background, the movie Master of the Flying Guillotine is playing. While I am sure that my dear wife appreciates her husband taking time away from snoring in her ear; I am somewhat irritated from lack of sleep. Yet, the partial reasoning for that lack of sleep consists in the nagging feeling I am having about a certain superhero, Black Lightning.
Black Lightning is a superhero character created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden and was first published in 1977 by DC Comics. He is without a doubt my favorite Black superhero in comics. This character is one of DC most powerful metahumans and for some reason or another, he is not valued enough in my humble opinion. His first appearance which is his own self title is very affordable and is barely even considered a notable key. I do not understand why that is. To make a comparison of sorts, I look at a contemporary at Marvel comics, Luke Cage. Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #1 came out in 1972. This particular key is more respected because it was released 5 years earlier and is coming upon its 50th anniversary this upcoming summer.
Both characters were created and founded in the 1970s Black exploitation era but what is puzzling to me is that a book that is 5 years younger, Black Lightning in this case gets viewed a certain way for whatever reason. Let me be honest, DC has never been the best promoter of its Black characters. It has way more Black characters than Marvel comics, but for whatever reason, many of them languish in DC comics purgatory.
So, you may be wondering why is there an issue? Why am I up writing about a Black character that hardly no one checks for? Isabella for his merit has written a few volumes of the character and later iterations have improved with time. The character recently recieved an upgrade in the power department but it has not translated into a modern self titled run. Instead, my man is a team character. He seems to only get any significant run in team books, Batman and the Outsiders in particular. However, Black Lightning deserves his own on going title. Now, DC may think otherwise but they are not respecting my mind. How is it that a character gets a show on the CW but not have a comic book run at the time? Now the CW is not my favorite network but the Black Lightning show was really entertaining and was around for four seasons. That show could have been a promotional tool for DC but the empty suits at DC clearly think otherwise. I am frustrated with DC and their lack of investment regarding Black Lightning because it just makes sense to promote and expand this character in a story line. Thank goodness for John Ridley giving Black Lightning his just due in his writings for The Other History of the DC Universe.
John Ridley gave Black Lightning fans a shot in the arm with his take on the character and his history in the DC Universe. I did not agree with everything he wrote but I did agree with about 85 percent of it. It was as if Jefferson Pierce aka Black Lightning was tired of being misunderstood and overlooked and he wanted to set the record straight. Such an impassioned book deserves a follow up. (ie, ongoing title). However, instead they playing my man like a b-side. It has been like this too for a long time. The character Black Vulcan in the Superfriends television show was supposed to be Black Lightning instead. Drama between Isabella and DC messed this up. This could have set up Black Lightning in the pop culture mainstream as far as cartoons and even merchandising. However, it was not to be. I have seen comic book fans reference this character and it burns me up because I know that Black Vulcan is a Black Lightning knock off that gets love on the strength of that Superfriends television. The only reason they have not tried to promote Black Vulcan in the comic book medium is because any self respecting comic head would not and cannot take this character seriously for canon and creative reasons.
Batman and the Outsiders latest run was written by Bryan Hill. It was a great run but it irritated Tony Isabella to the point where he did not like the direction Hill was taking Black Lightning in regards to his relationship with his former wife. It was one of those things where the creator may have intentions for a character but do not consider that the character itself may mature or develop or evolve. Why continue to tie a man to an ex-wife? It is not his modus operandi so what gives? Isabella is entitled to state his feelings but he hasn't wrote on the character in a long time so, there's that. Just recently Jefferson Pierce is being or should I say was being featured in a new DC comic book entitled, 'Dark Knights of Steel'. It is seemingly an elseworlds story written by Tom Taylor. In short the book is 3 issues deep and they gave my man the Yeoman Johnson treatment. Just google Yeoman Johnson and Boomerang. You will get my meaning. The book in and of itself is a good read so far. Yet, I was a little bothered by the latest developments. Its a like my guy can't catch a break even an elseworlds story.
Yet, there maybe a ray of hope. Screenrant.com just dropped an article of late talking about how Black Lightning will be an inspiration for a thousand years in the future. The book itself entitled "Justice League vs. Legion of Superheroes' details the accomplishments of Black Lightning and his family. That is great and it is a good look. I am not mad at it. However, I stand on the square that demands DC comics create a new run for Black Lightning. I like my guy in team books but I would like to see him in the modern day with a new book. In that new book, I want you to expand the rogues gallery. I want a Black writer, point blank periodt. Stop playing with me DC. Black Lightning comic book fans deserve a dope comic book. Black Lightning belongs on my pull list. Stop pulling my chain! -Richard J Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Master, we sick..?" An Observation.

Here we go again. The bible says that there is nothing new under the sun. The things you think are new are actually very old. In this day a...